Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Wiegand Art Gallery

Summary: Wiegand Art Gallery holds the artwork of Matt Black who gained the trust of farmworkers   and went with them to Mexico to experience it. The photos he took were of laborers in Mexico and the photos are in black and white. He depicts what life is like for immigrant workers. Black also based his artwork in California. One in particular is the photo that is "A Farmworker Clears Tumbleweeds. Lamont, California. 2010". It shows a workers raking weeds in what appears to be a field. It really gives a feel for what life was like for the workers as it is really dark and gloomy. There were many photos in the gallery that showed what life was like for farmworkers in California and in Mexico. 


Commentary: I very much enjoyed the Wiegand Art Gallery. I liked how all the pictures were in black and white because it really showed what was there. Having color in pictures or paintings is almost a distraction to what the art is showing you. These pieces art really show what it was like for immigrant workers in California and in Mexico. I noticed that most, if not all, photos had an animal in them. I am not sure why that is and if I was there for Matt Black's presentation, I would have definitely asked. Overall, I loved all the photos. 

1 comment: