Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Call to Action Day

Summary:
For Call to Action Day, I interviewed Jeannette Ringold. She was a Dutch child hidden in the Netherlands. I began to ask questions but then Jeannette said she would tell her story and then questions could be brought up during. She was very young when she was taken to another family along with her three month old brother. Being so young, it was hard for Jeannette to remember certain things, but she remembered almost all of it. She stayed with a total of five families. It was hard for the last family to let her go as they got attached to her. However, she was reunited with her Uncle Theo and later saw the family again in what Jeannette said was a very "emotional" experience. With the help of President Eisenhower, Jeannette and her brother and along with her Uncle, they were able to move to the United States. She then went to San Mateo High School.


Commentary:
I loved talking to Jeannette. She was very easy to talk to and made me want to find out more information. While speaking to her, she would pause and ask if we had any questions and that was so great. I was really surprised that she kept herself together as I bet those times were probably the worst she has experienced. I was really shocked from what she told me and I cannot imagine what it must have been like. In sum, I am so honored to have met Jeannette and it was a great experience. 

1 comment: