Wednesday, September 14, 2016

From Cruelty to Goodness

Summary:
In the article "From Cruelty to Goodness" by Phillip Hallie, he explains cruelty is just not in one form and it is expressed in many ways. He noticed that people use harsh words and not just harsh actions. He explains how people held in camps were not allowed to wipe themselves after using the restroom and forced to drink from unsanitary bowl. He also states that in bullying with relation to power, the victim becomes the "victimizer". It depends on ones morals and thoughts and how they handle each situation even though usually they become both the victim and victimizer. Hallie discusses the "power imbalance" of the Jews and Gypsy children in the death camps of Le Chambon. He then found himself feeling sorry for the children or wanting to be cruel to them.

Comment:
The article "From Cruelty to Goodness" was not the best article I have read. It took me quite some time to get into the reading. I like how Hallie said that there is not only one form of cruelty. I never really thought about cruelty in other ways. I also like how he tried to find the goodness in cruelty. Not many people can see the brighter side of things so I find that very surprising and I admire that in Hallie. This article helped me look at cruelty and goodness in different ways and made me look at things from a different perspective. 

1 comment:

  1. Alexis: I understand that it was a tough read, but you wrestle well with it! Jim

    ReplyDelete